Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Egg Hunt: War of Candy



Well, it's that time again: Easter time. Okay, so Easter was yesterday, I understand that, but I didn't have time to type it yesterday.
So I don't know about the rest of you, but my family takes Easter egg hunts pretty darn seriously. I'm not joking when I say it' s a war. Everyone is very protective of their Easter eggs, especially the one we have every year at my grandparents' house because money is involved. Now, a few years ago there were enough youngsters where the little kids went first for about one minute (which let me tell you, it seems like an eternity to us older kids), then the older kids were allowed out to search for the eggs. But this year the youngest child to hunt for eggs was my sister, Annie, and she's 8 years old. The next ones up were 12, so my grandparents decided to let us all go at once.
Never before has so much adrenaline surged through my veins. My cousins, the boys who are all younger and bigger than me, taunted me, telling me they would get to the eggs sooner than I would, and then they'd speed off in front of me. My competitive side took over and, no longer caring if i looked like an idiot, I ran from egg to egg, not caring how easy or hard they were to get. If someone saw an egg I raced in that direction to try to get the egg before them. The English have their "hunt" of foxes and other such animals, but the Easter egg hunt is my "hunt." Maybe next year I'll rent some dogs that have skills in sniffing out Easter eggs. Yes that will be fantastic!
Ok, so the hunt only lasted about 5 minutes tops and then everyone headed inside. I didn't get as many eggs as I wanted but I did get $6 and lots of candy! But even after you get your candy in a bag and all that the war is still not over. It's a well-known fact in our family that you've got to hold on to your Easter candy or it'll be gone before you know it. You can be sure that I always had an eye on my candy. I have many cousins who wouldn't hesitate one second to eat my candy. Unfortunately, I took my eye off of my candy for just a few minutes and came back to find that all of my favorite candies had been eaten by my cousin. CURSES! Maybe next year I'll learn.
That was Saturday. Even on Sunday my family was eager for hunting the Easter eggs the Easter bunny had left. So when we came downstairs, Annie had just picked up eggs she had seen on her way downstairs and already had about 15 eggs in her basket. We kept calling her a cheater and stuff, but my dad told us not to make such a big deal out of it. If he only knew how important that candy was to us, he'd understand why we reacted the way we did. Everyone knows that the candy the Easter bunny leaves is always the best candy of the year. But everything turned out alright. I got The Cat in the Hat (the cartoon) and Green Eggs and Ham (including The Sneetches, The Zax, and Grinch Night. Also a cartoon). Plus lots of candy.
Anywho, I hope you all had a great Easter! Mine was great!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hehehehe, I found this post SO FUNNY alisa! I laughed so hard. I can totally see you fighting your cousins/siblings off! Good fun!

Unknown said...

The easter bunny must love you a lot to buy you those sweet movies!!
Love, Mom